Sunday, November 20, 2022

Some Things Never Change

It is Sunday morning, November 20, 2022. After two weeks in Indiana with David, Jordan, Levi, Maelie, and Hank, we are about to head out to our first Sunday from home as a retired minister. I am looking forward to it but it definitely is a different feeling. We are not on vacation. We are not going to worship where we are members. The whole thing of having no official responsibility is… nice. 

Pastoral leadership is a privilege and a great responsibility. There are specific responsibilities, such as those identified in the job description, and there are a myriad of other items that default to the pastor because, as is often stated, "I didn't know who to ask and you're the pastor, so…." Those will not be a part of my experience this morning. I anticipate we will be with Aaron, Denise, Sélah, Emma, Jada, and probably Carla as we worship together.

What is God's plan for us in the way of congregational involvement in the future? I do not know. I will just take it one day at a time and listen for His direction.

One thing I do know after twenty days of retirement. The majority, if not all, of the changes that come with retirement do not include my daily walk with God. That relationship has not changed. He is still my Lord and I am still His child 100% of the time. While in vocational ministry, I had various tasks to perform. Those tasks are no longer a part of my daily routine. But the most important things of ministry, i.e. loving God, loving others, and making disciples, will always remain because they are the most important things for every follower of Christ. 

My days continue to begin with a time of prayer and Bible study. My relationships with others still need to reflect God's love. And now that I am retired and continue those spiritual disciplines and others, it is a blessing and joy to have it affirmed that I have not done those things in the past because I was paid to do them but because I love God and desire to draw closer to Him every day of my life! Some things never change.


No comments:

Post a Comment