Thursday, December 19, 2013

Coming To God's Rescue?

Where is it written in God's word that God needs, wants, or calls for us to defend Him? When Paul talked about his defense of the gospel in Philippians 1:16, the word "defense" is the word for apology as in "apologetics" which is intelligent reasoning, not verbal warring. Even the psalmist called on God to defend (plead) His own cause (Psalm 74:22).

If Phil Robertson is never allowed back on television again, neither God nor His kingdom will suffer. For that matter, neither will Phil Robertson. So far, he appears to be one of the few voices not crying "foul!" Granted that my exposure to his words is limited but what I have seen and/or read indicates that the patriarch of Duck Dynasty continues to bear witness to his Lord without saying, "Shame on you, A&E!"

I have never looked to A&E or any other broadcast company as a guardian of the faith. In fact, when a person of faith is targeted, as Phil Robertson has been, we should praise God for allowing everyone to see the polarity between pleasing God and pleasing the world. The Holy Spirit did not inspire the Apostle Paul to write 2 Corinthians 10 for nothing!

On a personal note: When the SBC and other groups called for a boycott of all things Disney in 1997, I went the extra mile and tried to learn as much as I could about just how evil Disney was. I accomplished this by personally examining every single ride and show at Disneyland and, later, the newly opened California Adventure Park. Just to make sure, I repeated this process numerous times until the boycott ended in 2005. I suppose I will approach the current outrage against A&E over the treatment of Phil Robertson with equal alarm.
Now, if you will excuse me, all our kids are coming home for Christmas and I can do something meaningful about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment