Friday, June 26, 2015

We Continue On

This week in review…so far: The Supreme Court upholds Obamacare and declares same-sex marriage legal in all fifty states, whether those states like it, want it, or not; without declaring it, many "people of faith" react as if the world will soon come to an end; and I was finally able to schedule a medical appointment to get an infusion in my back.


Starting at the back and going forward—
As a result of getting older, my L4 vertebra shifts around. Also, a nice big cyst has grown in/on my L3 vertebra. There is a chance the infusion will allow the back to heal over the next few weeks. If not, another infusion will be tried, also attempting to drain the cyst (not a high probability of success). If both infusions do not produce the desired results, surgery will be scheduled to remove the cyst and "bolt" the lower vertebrae (L3, L4, L5?) together and after a period of recovery, I'll be in great shape.

Now, regarding the SCOTUS rulings and despair by the family of God—
Given:
  • We are ambassadors for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20) who communicate His message ("be reconciled to God") to the world.
  • Reconciliation to God can only occur through Jesus (John 14:6) who died on the cross that our sins might be forgiven (Romans 6:10).
  • Jesus commissioned us make disciples (followers/students) of Himself wherever people are (Matthew 28:18-20).
  • Though many "Christians" don't get it, our lives are already forfeited for the cause of Christ (Romans 6:3; Galatians 2:20).
  • Dead things feel no pain (It only hurts roadkill the first time it's squished).
  • God doesn't change (Hebrews 13:8) so His Truth remains unchanged.
Then:
  • The judgements/decisions/actions of man do not alter our God-given mission/purpose.
  • We should continue in obedience to God (or, for some, get started).

1 comment:

  1. It's my post so I'll add this:

    God declares in His word that homosexuality is a sin. So is adultery, lying, robbery, lust, cheating, idolatry, hatred, etc. In fact, several Bible verses are very clear about what is sin. Here's a few to chew on:

    Proverbs 24:9 The devising of folly is sin, and the scoffer is an abomination to mankind.
    Romans 14:23 For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.
    James 4:17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
    1 John 5:17 All wrongdoing is sin.

    On a very personal note: I do not believe it matters one iota whether or not a person is born with a certain desire, has a genetic predisposition, struggles endlessly with feelings of one thing or another, etc. The reason I do not believe it matters is because we do not determine God's truth nor does God's truth change due to circumstances, culture, urges, proclamations, laws, etc. We are sinners. As Psalm 51:5 says, "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." Why would we think our imperfect nature is adequate to correct God's truth?
    Example: From my earliest childhood, i.e. as long as I can remember—even kindergarten or before, I have felt strong sexual desires for women. Not just an attraction but a sexual desire. The temptation has been constant and torturous since the lustful mind longs to be completely involved which means an actual woman is not even necessary. When I was in about the 3rd grade, I went to a meeting where the guest speaker was Tommy Lester—Eb of the old TV show, "Green Acres". Tommy spoke to us about making the right choices sexually. He gave advice such as: RUN (literally) from temptation; decide now the kind of woman you want to marry; and keep praying for God to deliver you from temptation. So I did. I still do because the temptations continue and probably always will. God has answered and continues to answer those prayers. He has put me with a good, faithful, and godly wife. God has enabled me to resist/overcome those temptations and I trust Him to continue.
    I know this: Your desire to please and obey God must be greater than other desires. To place my fleshly desires above God's will/truth is idolatry. That truth includes loving those who continue to reject His complete authority over their lives. As 1 John 3:9-10 says, "No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother."

    I do wish it were easier, though.

    ReplyDelete